Incorrect J-statistic in GMM output??

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

oksanakim

Incorrect J-statistic in GMM output??

Postby oksanakim » Tue May 01, 2018 6:06 am

Dear Moderators and users.

I am estimating the model using GMM and several instrumental variables in Eviews 10. The output shows the J-statistic and also the probability of J-statistic. My understanding was that this J-statistic is a Sargan statistics and that output is ready to test the Null hypothesis: instruments are valid. However, in the literature, I came across a claim that the GMM-reported J-statistic is actually incorrect and that it should be amended by multiplying the reported one by a number of observations, the p-value has to be recalculated to get the actual J-statistic that can be used to test the null. How true is this?? I am attaching the document where I found this. I am confused. Thank you.
Attachments
On the IV testing in Eviews useful.doc
(292.5 KiB) Downloaded 385 times

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Incorrect J-statistic in GMM output??

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue May 01, 2018 7:31 am

That document is extremely old and out of date. If you're using EViews 7, 8, 9, 10 or later, it is not applicable.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

oksanakim

Re: Incorrect J-statistic in GMM output??

Postby oksanakim » Tue May 01, 2018 7:37 am

I see. I am using an unstructured panel and GMM estimation. So the J-stat with a related probability is basically ready to test for the Null: instruments are valid, correct? I am attaching the file with an example of my estimation, marking the J(Prob of J) that I am inquiring about. Thanks a lot.
Attachments
Eviews Jstat example.docx
(16.85 KiB) Downloaded 481 times

Return to “Estimation”