HLW Rstar estimates

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

paolo.zanghieri

HLW Rstar estimates

Postby paolo.zanghieri » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:13 am

Hello,
I am trying to replicate the Hoston, Laubach & Williams model. I followed the procedure outlined in the paper (WP version attached), initializing with the values they estimated (see .xls attached). I get sensible results for the autoregressive parameteres but much lower ones for those linking the output gap with the interest rate gap in the 1st equation and inflation with the lagged output gap in the 2nd equation, and above all, for the variance of the state variables. Moreover, the estimates are not stable even though the likelihood is maximized (i.e. if I reestimate the model I get very different estimates).
Any clue? Please find enclosed the workfile.
Thanks a lot.
Paolo
Attachments
hlw.wf1
(47.16 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
Holston_Laubach_Williams_estimates.xlsx
(68.77 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
HLW_paper.pdf
(426.72 KiB) Downloaded 365 times

Redvers-Jones

Re: HLW Rstar estimates

Postby Redvers-Jones » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:13 am

I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid, though I thought/hope replying with bring this back to the attention of moderators again.
For what it is worth, and if you have not seen it already, this earlier post may hold some useful information regarding estimation method etc. http://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18318&p=58113&hilit=laubach+williams#p58113

Return to “Estimation”