Static y forecast with out of sample x's

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

Dave_maccer

Static y forecast with out of sample x's

Postby Dave_maccer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:22 am

Hi there.

I am trying to forecast forward y by 12 quarters based on a single ols equation. I have assumed values for my independent variables for the out-of-sample 12 quarters period, so am trying to do a static forecast. This only allows me to forecast out 4 quarters, obviously using actual lagged values of my independent variables in my regression, and stopping at the end of my sample
Is there a way of using my assumed values of independent variable as, in effect, actual values to roll forward a static forecast of y? Essentially I am trying to forecast y based on future scenarios of x

Many Thanks

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Static y forecast with out of sample x's

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:52 am

Static vs Dynamic has nothing to do with whether values of X are actual or not. It is just whether you use actual or forecasted values of Y.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Dave_maccer

Postby Dave_maccer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:24 am

Got it, thanks. Does that mean creating new variable, y2, and adding in forecasted values of y, or is there a neater way of doing that within the forecast function in my original equation? Apologies for the dumb questions.

Dave_maccer

Postby Dave_maccer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:34 am

You'll probably guess I have lagged values of y as independent variables, hence the limit on my initial forecast to 4 quarters out.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:34 am

Don't really understand the question.

If you tell EViews to do a static forecast, EViews will use the values inside the Y series over the forecast period.

If you tell EViews to do a dynamic forecast, EViews will use the forecasted values of Y over the forecast period.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Estimation”