Comparing coefficients accross regressions

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

oksanakim

Comparing coefficients accross regressions

Postby oksanakim » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:18 am

Hello Eviews users and moderators

Please assist with the following. Eviews 10: I am estimating two linear equations that have the same explanatory variables, except for one variable that is defined differently for one equation versus another one. I need to test for statistical significance of the coefficients on this differently defined variable across two regressions. The possible solution I came across online is to implement such a test manually using the formula for two coefficients of interest:

his approach is to use the following Z test:

Z=(β1−β2)/square root of[(SEβ1)^2+(SEβ2)^2]

Where SEβ
is the standard error of β.

Is there any way to implement such a testing of equality of coefficients across models in Eviews 10 without manual derivations? Thank you in advance.

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Re: Comparing coefficients accross regressions

Postby startz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:33 am

Set up the equations in a system object.

oksanakim

Postby oksanakim » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks! Would you suggest setting up an equation via a code or there is some built in algorithm that can estimate a system? How would I test for the equality of coefficients once the system is estimated? Thanks again!

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:39 am

Object/New object/System

opens a system object. Look at the help system for info on how to enter the equations in that object.

Return to “Estimation”