Midas Intra-period forecast

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

vikas.trades25

Midas Intra-period forecast

Postby vikas.trades25 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:10 am

Hi,
I wanted to know if intra-period midas forecasting is implemented in Eviews, like explained in the paper by Armesto et al (2010). The relevant section is eqn 8 in that paper.

I want to forecast a monthly series using a weekly series. Monthly series is available till July 2017 and weekly series till Aug 2017. I would like to obtain the forecasts for the monthly series for each week data in August 2017. Is this possible. Also I would like to get a long history of the weekly estimates of this monthly variable (for e.g the past 5 years). I believe I need to perform MIDAS on an expanding window.

How to do this

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Midas Intra-period forecast

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:03 pm

EViews will forecast from a MIDAS equation using the straight forward calculation of the specification. That specification may include both lags and leads of the higher-frequency variable. To get the "weekly updated forecasts" you might have to re-specify the equation's leads/lags.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Estimation”