Estimating translog cost function

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

stevenessex

Estimating translog cost function

Postby stevenessex » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi everyone: so i am trying to calculate the translong cost function in order to obtain marginal cost for a Lerner Index. However, I am struggling with the interpreting of the function itself into eviews. I have attached a word document of my translog function and all the variables.
Any help at all would be appreciated.
Attachments
my dissertation.docx
(36.51 KiB) Downloaded 652 times

stevenessex

Re: Estimating translog cost function

Postby stevenessex » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:36 pm

ln(total_bank_cost)=c+c(2)*(total_earnings_assets)*ln(total_earnings_assets)+c(3)*.5*(total_earnings_assets)*ln(total_earnings_assets)^2+c(4)*wd_price_of_deposits_*ln(wd_price_of_deposits_)+c(5)*wk_price_of_physical_cap)*ln(wk_price_of_physical_cap)+c(6)*wl_price_of_labour_*ln(wl_price_of_labour_)+ln(total_earnings_assets)*ln(wd_price_of_deposits_)+ln(total_earnings_assets)*ln(wl_price_of_labour_)+ln(total_earnings_assets)*ln(wk_price_of_physical_cap)+ln(wd_price_of_deposits_)*ln(wk_price_of_physical_cap)+ln(wd_price_of_deposits_)*ln(wl_price_of_labour_)+ln(wk_price_of_physical_cap)*ln(wd_price_of_deposits_)+ln(wk_price_of_physical_cap)*ln(wl_price_of_labour_)+ln(wl_price_of_labour_)*ln(wd_price_of_deposits_)+ln(wl_price_of_labour_)*ln(wk_price_of_physical_cap)+ln(wl_price_of_labour_)^2+ln(wd_price_of_deposits_)^2+ln(wk_price_of_physical_cap)^2
would this be correct?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:40 pm

log not ln.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Rakan90Aldomy

Postby Rakan90Aldomy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:03 am

I am using same as stevenessex to estimating translog cost function and i tried to run this equation
log(total_cost)=c(1)+c(2)*(q)*log(q)+c(3)*0.5 (q)*log(q)^2+c(4)*w1_deposit_*log(w1_deposit_)+c(5)*w3_fixed_capital_)*log(w3_fixed_capital_)+c(6)*w2_labor_*log(w2_labor_)+log(q)*log(w1_deposit_)+log(q)*log(w2_labor_)+log(q)*log(w3_fixed_capital_)+log(w1_deposit_)*log(w3_fixed_capital_)+log(w1_deposit_)*log(w2_labor_)+log(w3_fixed_capital_)*log(w1_deposit_)+log(w3_fixed_capital_)*log(w2_labor_)+log(w2_labor_)*log(w1_deposit_)+log(w2_labor_)*log(w3_fixed_capital_)+log(w2_labor_)^2+log(w1_deposit_)^2+log(w3_fixed_capital_)^2

and it gave me "syntax error" and how can i calculate for each bank and each year?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:22 am

Go through and make sure you're not missing any * or + signs.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

amitshankar11

Postby amitshankar11 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:40 am

After estimating the translog function, How i should proceed to calculate the marginal cost for translog cost function for estimating lerner index for banking competition?

I am estimating same translog cost function as suggested by stevenessex as follows:
log(total_cost)=c(1)+c(2)*(q)*log(q)+c(3)*0.5(q)*log(q)^2+c(4)*w1_deposit_*log(w1_deposit_)+c(5)*w3_fixed_capital_)*log(w3_fixed_capital_)+c(6)*w2_labor_*log(w2_labor_)+log(q)*log(w1_deposit_)+log(q)*log(w2_labor_)+log(q)*log(w3_fixed_capital_)+log(w1_deposit_)*log(w3_fixed_capital_)+log(w1_deposit_)*log(w2_labor_)+log(w3_fixed_capital_)*log(w1_deposit_)+log(w3_fixed_capital_)*log(w2_labor_)+log(w2_labor_)*log(w1_deposit_)+log(w2_labor_)*log(w3_fixed_capital_)+log(w2_labor_)^2+log(w1_deposit_)^2+log(w3_fixed_capital_)^2

WILFREDOOTTO

Postby WILFREDOOTTO » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:50 am

How can I calculate the translog Pakistani Talk Shows cost function for cross section data

Return to “Estimation”