Hausman Test

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

nuramirahborhan

Hausman Test

Postby nuramirahborhan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:40 am

Hi all,

I have a question regarding Hausman Test. I'm doing a research on systematic risk (dependent variable) in 1 country. The panel data consists of 40 companies and period of 10 years (2007-2016) - 400 balanced panel data.

I have 13 Independent Variables (IVs):
- 8 IVs are company-specific variables that vary between companies
- 3 IVs are dummy variables for financial crisis 2008, 2012, 2015.
- 2 IVs are macroeconomics variable (exchange rate & inflation rate) which values are different from year to year but constant for all companies.

I run POLS, Fixed Effect and Random Effect models. When I conduct Hausman Test, the output says: * Cross-section test variance is invalid. Hausman statistic set to zero. Since the chi-square statistics is set to zero, the probability is 1.0000

My questions:
What does this result mean? Is this result is invalid since it says *Cross-section test variance is invalid. Hausman statistic set to zero, and I should choose Fixed Effect Model?

Or is this result OK, and it simply means that I should choose Random Effects Model? But the Random Effect Model is very bad with low f-statistics and low adjusted R squared. The Fixed Effect Model is much better than Random Effect Model.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Hausman Test

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:47 am

A search of the forum (or Google) for that phrase will give you plenty of answers.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Estimation”