Estimation of dummy variables

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

michalzeszen

Estimation of dummy variables

Postby michalzeszen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:34 am

Hi there,

This is Michalzeszen from Brazil.

I'm finishing a study on the 2008 economic crisis, and it's affects on the automotive sales in my state. For that I'm running a regression where the sales numbers are dependent on the interest rate, a index price and the amount of credit released for the purpose of buying a car.

I have a montly set of data from jan 2005 to dez 2012, and to identify the crisis period, I'm using dummies that say 1 to jan 2008 to jun 2009. This is the period the govenment applied anticyclical policies to prevent sales drop on the sector.

My question is really simple: how to run the regression and make the dummies interact with the explanatory variables?

Thank you so much for the help!

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Re: Estimation of dummy variables

Postby startz » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:39 am

If y is the dependent variable, D the dummy, and X another explanatory variable

Code: Select all

ls y c x d d*x

michalzeszen

Postby michalzeszen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:08 am

startz wrote:If y is the dependent variable, D the dummy, and X another explanatory variable

Code: Select all

ls y c x d d*x

Thank you, I was guessing it would be something like that, but it's good to be sure!

Can I ask another question? If I want to use log on this estimation:

- should I convert the values of the variables to log prior the estimation, or during it?
- the Index Price have some negative values, how to properly convert it?

thanks again!

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:52 am

It makes no difference whether you convert before or directly during estimation; do whichever is more convenient.

There is no great solution to the log of a negative number. If it's just a few observations, you might leave them out. Or you can add a positive number to all observations that everything is positive, but that may change the results a little.

Return to “Estimation”