Putting Limits on Coefficients

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

cmgconsulting

Putting Limits on Coefficients

Postby cmgconsulting » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:30 pm

After reading your discussion on Putting Limits on Coefficients thread, I am following the code you posted below:

Code: Select all

equation eq2.ls y = c(1) + (2*@logit(c(2))-1)*x

My equation is:

log(ssu) = c(1) + (-3.5*@logit(c(2))-3)*log(price) + c(3)*log(acv) + c(4)*(items) + c(5)*promoacv + c(6)*promounits +c(7)*trend + c(8)*easter

however, it returns a singular error. If I replace the (-3.5*@logit(c(2))-3) with c(2), the equation works just fine. I've tried using exp(c(2)) just to see what happens, and that causes problems as well. Any help?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Putting Limits on Coefficients

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:39 pm

Is it a singular matrix error, or a Warning: Singular Covariance message?
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

cmgconsulting

Postby cmgconsulting » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:53 pm

"Near Singular Matrix"

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:04 pm

Just means that EViews can't find a solution to the problem.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

s_pushparaj

Postby s_pushparaj » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:58 pm

Is this due to the fact that the non-linear estimation can't be done using least square procedure. However there are other non linear estimation procedure available for this sort of estimation.
- Pushparaj

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:36 am

(Re: the previous posting by s_pusharaj) Lest anyone get the wrong impression, I'd just like to point out that the EViews least squares procedure certainly does perform nonlinear estimation.

If I had to guess at what is going on here I'd suspect that it's a starting value issue. We will use whatever is in the coefficient vector to initialize the nonlinear estimation. When you switch from estimating with the coefficient in levels to a transformation there may be problems with getting derivatives which cause singularities. The most obvious hint that this is the case would be if the "Near Singular Matrix" error comes up immediately when you estimate the equation (as opposed to running for a number of iterations first).

If this is the case, playing around with the starting values may help. Translating from the unrestricted coefficient using the inverse of the transformation would be an obvious first approach.

Return to “Estimation”