OLS - problems with estimation equation

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

hank83

OLS - problems with estimation equation

Postby hank83 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:17 am

Hey everyone,

I have a problem with my OLS-regression. I´m trying to make a regression that looks like this:

icrge ln_gdp bb infl sacw ethnf assas ethnf_assas m2_1 ssa easia td1 td2 td3 td4 td5 td6 engfrac
eurfrac latitude

Where the 3 last variables are supposed to be instruments of the dependent variable. I know
that it´s possible to do a 2SLS directly in eviews, but Im not sure how to enterpret the result,
+ I wanna know the coefficients for the instruments.
My problem is these:

- first, it says: "alpha series in specification - engfrac" @expand can convert to categorical dummies.

so I re-write:

icrge ln_gdp bb infl sacw ethnf assas ethnf_assas m2_1 ssa easia td1 td2 td3 td4 td5 td6
@expand(engfrac, eurfrac, latitude)

but now it says "near singular matrix"
I guess that means that it is problem with multicollinearity, but I don´t know how to solve it.
I have tried to remove variables but the problem persist. And what if I don´t want to remove variables
until I have seen the result?

And what exactly is an alpha series? engfrac is just another data-series. And the only dummies,
except for td1-6 are "ssa" and "easia".

Im very grateful for comments and help, Im really stuck on this one.. :)

Cheers,
Hannes

hank83

Re: OLS - problems with estimation equation

Postby hank83 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:20 am

hi again,

btw, Im using eviews 5 if that could matter.

Cheers,

Hannes

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:42 am

Your use of @expand gives a complete set of dummies. You probably have either another complete set or a constant.

hank83

Postby hank83 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:07 am

Thanks for your answer Startz.

But I would prefer not to use @expand, because I don´t want to make dummies out of the last 3 variables, and as you said - I already have sets of dummy variables. I cant find my constant, don´t know exactly what to look for in the equation. Do you know how to make the equation work without @expand?

cheers,
Hannes

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:35 am

What's your variable engfrac supposed to be? If it's supposed to be numbers, you need to convert it to a numerical series. (Look at the help system for "@val")

hank83

Postby hank83 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:32 am

Hi,

you are absolutely right, the variable engfrac is a numerical value but has an "abc"-sign. I have looked @val up in the help-pdf, but unsure how to use it.
Do I press genr in the workfile or in the serie engfrac, and what exactly do I write? I find the help-pdf a bit unclear on that, because I don´t want to write just A specific value, but use the values that is already in the series.

Cheers,
H

hank83

Postby hank83 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:05 pm

ah, found out how to do it now! thanks a lot for your help!! =)

/H

Return to “Estimation”