Something mysterious to me..

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

DBel2012

Something mysterious to me..

Postby DBel2012 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:33 am

Hi,

I'm using EViews9, July 28, 2015 Build. Still waiting for my company to install the last patch!

I was wondering if you could help me understand something mysterious to me...

I've attached a workfile and a small program which estimates 3 equations.

I've noticed that the order of the appearance of the first two equations (epargnemensuel and epargneannuel) in the program file will not produce the same results for the third equation (epargnebilan.arch).

Is there something important missing in the third equation? Is it a question a starting values? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Danny
Attachments
Test_equations.prg
(979 Bytes) Downloaded 231 times
bd_alco_tmp.wf1
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 199 times

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Something mysterious to me..

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:53 am

Usually I would jump to say starting values - since most estimation in EViews uses the C vector in the workfile for starting values, and each estimation overwrites the C vector, the order in which you estimate equations can impact their results as starting values change.

However for ARCH models the default is not to use the C vector, rather to use EViews' own supplied starting values. So in your case the starting values are not impacted by previous estimations.

I think in your case the equation simply is not converging well and is on a knife edge between two possible solutions. If you open up the equation and repeatedly estimate it, you can see it seems to jump from one set of solutions to another.

The warning messages on the equation output do indicate that convergence isn't necessarily achieved.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

DBel2012

Re: Something mysterious to me..

Postby DBel2012 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks a lot Gareth for you help!

Return to “Estimation”