Non-Linear GMM Weighting Matrix Issues

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

timbod2003

Non-Linear GMM Weighting Matrix Issues

Postby timbod2003 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:30 pm

I am trying to estimate a non-linear Cobb-Douglas production function (my workfile is attached) of the following form( I am using eviews 9):

y=c(1) * K^c(2) * L^c(3)

I am trying to estimate this GMM using a user defined matrix. In theory for estimating Optimal GMM you follow a two-step process:

1) Assume the Weighting Matrix is S^-1 and we estimate GMM by setting the weighting matrix equal to the identity matrix. Then use the estimated s from the first equation and use that estimated S_hat^-1 as the weighting matrix

However when I run this estimation and select a user defined matrix (i in this workfile is the identity matrix) I get that there is a singluar matrix.

In this estimation I do not have any IV's so I am using the variables themselves as the IV's.

Perhaps this is the issue? Is there a way to code the objective function for GMM and maximize it if this does not work?

The equation nonlineargmm is the estimation using a a different weighting matrix (which does not give me a nonsingluar result)

Thanks,
Tim

Return to “Estimation”