Forecasting using Kalman Filter

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

jmagomez

Forecasting using Kalman Filter

Postby jmagomez » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Dear Fellows,

I developed a model using the State Space Object with Kalman Filter, but I am not having success to forecast. What do I have to do?

I am sending the Eviews file and the object is called sskfvecmgasrealsubst. The variables are lgasolinac, lmassasalarialreal and lsubst. Please could you help me to forecast. What am I doing wrong?

Any doubt, please contact me.

Best Regards, Jmagomez.
Attachments
base de dados doutorado_20140118.wf1
(148.66 KiB) Downloaded 333 times

jmagomez

Re: Forecasting using Kalman Filter

Postby jmagomez » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:31 pm

Dear Fellows,
On what website could I have information about my doubt over forecasting using Kalman Filter? Please, I would like your help.
Best Regards, José.

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:02 am

Have you read the discussion of forecasting using the state space object in the manual? If so, do you have specific questions regarding the material?

jmagomez

Postby jmagomez » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:06 am

Hello Glenn, thanks for your reply. I read the Eviews manual , the Kalman Filter topic, four times. My doubt is:
I developed a simple model named sskfvecmgasolinarealsubst and I am trying to forecast for one year ahead from 2013m07 until 201406 and make an out of sample analysis. I tried all different specifications: Dynamic, Smoothed and N-period ahead, but Eviews didn't return any answer and it didn't write where the problem is. Could you help me? You change the file.

Best Regards, José.

jmagomez

Postby jmagomez » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Dear Glenn,

I would like to add that I am using a VECM. Maybe Eviews can not forecast VECM using Kalman Filter.

Best Regards, José.

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:26 pm

As we note in the manual, if you are forecasting in a state space with a dependent variable as an expression, you have to provide names since the wildcard can't create a name using the existing dependent. Just enter one or more name.

jmagomez

Postby jmagomez » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:40 am

Thanks a lot, Glenn. I had success on forecasting using your tip. I didn't do this before, because there is an expression at page 744 - log(passenger) - that says the referenced equation would be correct. I give a suggestion to allow forecasting expressions at state space models at the newest versions from Eviews.

Best Regards, José.

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:21 pm

Estimating the equation with an expression is not a problem. Just when you forecast the signals, you have to provide explicit names.

Return to “Estimation”