ECM, VAR, dummy and dummy interaction term

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

lenasong7

ECM, VAR, dummy and dummy interaction term

Postby lenasong7 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:51 am

Dear all,
Can someone please help me? I'm a beginner and not sure if I'm doing correctly since this is my first time learning VAR... especially with dummies!

I'm trying to estimate the following regression: Price = C + B1*Cost + B2*Dummy + B3*(Dummy*Cost) + u, where Dummy is equal to 1 for some periods from say years 200X~20XY, and 0 for periods before 200X. This is to check any change in price and cost relationship after the end of collusion.

I tried Unit Root test, and found that the time series data for Price and Cost are nonstationary,
but after doing the normal OLS regression* (with ar(1)<- due to serial correlation... ) and trying unit root test on the saved residuals, I found that u ~ I(0). So there's cointegration here.
Now I'm stuck at this point, uncertain what to do next.

I understand that when dealing with nonstationary series, one must worry about spurious regression.
So that means, I cannot just take OLS regression of the equation above and report the coeffs right?

So I tried to estimate VAR. I understand that dummy is put as exogenous. But what about Dummy interaction term, i.e. Dummy*Cost?
Isn't this interaction term endogenous? But then, I would get Dummy(-1)*Cost(-1). Is this correct?

And some coefficients of the obtained short run ECM is not significant. Is this possible and ok?
When rearranging the long short run ECM and substituting lag operator L = 1, I would get a long-run model, which coefficients are different from those initially obtained above (*). i.e. the OLSE when I just did with nonstationary variables in the beginning.
When reporting the final estimation values, which one should I take as the long run equilibrium equation?

Please please give me any advice.
Thank you!!!

Return to “Estimation”