frequency conversion

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

mscarlatos

frequency conversion

Postby mscarlatos » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:02 am

Hello, I am able to open a new workfile with imported annual or quarterly data, I am able to open a new workfile attached to the same initial workfile specifying new frequency. However, when I copy and past (paste and paste special are the same for me), I am able to paste but only the original series get pasted and I do not see any conversion. What am I missing?
M

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: frequency conversion

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:05 am

Could you post the workfile in question?
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

mscarlatos

Postby mscarlatos » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks. I resolved it myself: I was pasting the series onto an incorrect tab rather than to the blank workspace area. Also, I need to remind other to right click on the desired series and hit open/copy.

mscarlatos

Postby mscarlatos » Fri May 15, 2009 9:36 am

Hello. I am trying to do anotehr frequency conversion from annual (1970 to 2006) to quarterly and cannot maintain my previous luck and skill. I first open a workfile with quarterly frequency, 1970Q4-2006Q4, then return to my source workfile containing the annual series, right click and copy, move to my new (quarterly) workfile, aim my prompt in the open white space, rightclick and hit paste (paste special gives me indentical options here). But, all I can see is the original annual data. I am missing a key step somewhere....can anyone sense where this is happening?

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri May 15, 2009 9:44 am

Do you have the two workfiles open in the same copy of EViews, or are they in two different EViews windows?

If you have EViews open twice and try to copy from one to the other, you can only get dumb copy options.

mscarlatos

Postby mscarlatos » Fri May 15, 2009 10:23 am

I have only only one Eviews file open with 2 workfiles. Incidentally, perhaps due to the contract we have with you, noone can open Eviews twice simultaneously. ANy other ideas on how I was lucky back a few weeks and got the conversion to work?

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri May 15, 2009 10:36 am

We'd really have to see both workfiles to get an idea.

mscarlatos

Postby mscarlatos » Fri May 15, 2009 12:41 pm

How can I get both workfiles to you?

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri May 15, 2009 1:18 pm

You can attach them to a post here, or send an email to support@eviews.com along with your serial number.

lily

Postby lily » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:48 pm

Hi!

i have the same problem with data conversion from annual to quarterly. I have followed the instructions mentioned here but with no result. maybe the attached will help to solve this issue.

thank you very much!
Attachments
eviews_.doc
(64.5 KiB) Downloaded 415 times

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:01 am

Same answer - we'd have to see the workfiles in question.

fi08llc

Postby fi08llc » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:32 am

Hello,

I am having trouble converting my Annual data into Quarterly data using Eviews 5. I open up two workfiles (One with the original annual data and another that is set as Quarterly). I "copy" a variable from my annual workfile and then "paste special" onto the quarterly workfile. HOwever, when I do this, I get many options and I'm not too sure which option I should be selecting.....

I understand that I look at the "Frequency conversion options" and I need to convert from low to high frequency. But under this option, there are many other options to select from such as "constant match average, linear match last, quadratic match average/sum" and so on. Which option is the main one I should be using?

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:18 am

That question is impossible to answer. You should use whichever one you want to use. There is no dominant option - they all have pros and cons.

Return to “Data Manipulation”