VIF analysis in Panel data

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

eljayski

Re: VIF analysis in Panel data

Postby eljayski » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:04 pm

saizal87 wrote:You can actually test for multicollinearity based on VIF on panel data. lets say the name of your equation is eq01, so type "eq01.varinf" and then click enter. then you will get centered (with constant) vif and uncentered (without constant) vif. Keep in mind, if your equation dont have constant, then you will only get the uncentered.

this is kool info for me! but, what is the syntax? that is, where, or what screen, within eviews do i type in the name of my model, followed by .varinf?

help gratefully appreciated! eljayski

EconometricAarhus

Postby EconometricAarhus » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:56 pm

saizal87 wrote:You can actually test for multicollinearity based on VIF on panel data. lets say the name of your equation is eq01, so type "eq01.varinf" and then click enter. then you will get centered (with constant) vif and uncentered (without constant) vif. Keep in mind, if your equation dont have constant, then you will only get the uncentered.

When having a constant in a regression does it then only make sense to look at the centered? It seems like there is a huge difference. I have correlation up to 70%. Does it make most sense to ommit some variables or just be in mind of possible multicolinarity?

Best regards.
Attachments
Skærmbillede 2015-08-04 21.50.05.png
Skærmbillede 2015-08-04 21.50.05.png (119.65 KiB) Viewed 11130 times

Max

Postby Max » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:22 am

Does anyone know if this is appropriate to use that method for panel data? I am confused because in 2008 Eviews Gareth said
EViews Gareth wrote:ok, VIFs shouldn't be available for panel equations :D

I was wondering if the output I have when using eq01.varinf makes sense now under Eviews 8 ?

Thanks

Lalan_dk

Postby Lalan_dk » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:12 pm

startz wrote:
khor1984 wrote:The reason i test for multicollinearity is to check whether there is correlation between my variables.. is there any test that i can use for testing multicollinearity in panel data? or, we are assuming no multicollinearity in panel data?

Why do you care whether there is correlation between your variables? There almost certainly is correlation, but that's what OLS is built to sort out.

Hey startz, can you give references about ignoring multicollinearity?

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:12 pm

Lalan_dk wrote:
startz wrote:
khor1984 wrote:The reason i test for multicollinearity is to check whether there is correlation between my variables.. is there any test that i can use for testing multicollinearity in panel data? or, we are assuming no multicollinearity in panel data?

Why do you care whether there is correlation between your variables? There almost certainly is correlation, but that's what OLS is built to sort out.

Hey startz, can you give references about ignoring multicollinearity?

Wooldridge, section 3.4 writes
Since multicollinearity violates none of of our assumptions, the "problem" of multicollinearity is not really well defined.

The best reference is Goldberger (1991), but I'm afraid my copy is under lockdown in my office.

Return to “Data Manipulation”