Import data after creating a workfile

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

tmr81

Import data after creating a workfile

Postby tmr81 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 pm

Hello there,

I have a panel data workfile in eviews 5.1 (dated panel, 1985-2005), and I want to include a variable that only has the year 1960. When using the Import > fetch from xls option, eviews tells me that my identifier variable already exists and has a different form.

anybody a clue how to get the data into the workfile? or do i make a general mistake and a single-year variable cannot be included into a panel?

(btw, the variable i am talking about is GDP_1960, which shall correct the estimation for initial wealth of a country, when measuring what predicts GDP in 2005. i believe this is standart in economic analysis.)

thanks, torben

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Import data after creating a workfile

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Two ways to do this...

You'll either have to make it into a panel format inside Excel (i.e. repeat the data over and over for every cross-section), or bring it into EViews first into a non-panel workfile (i.e. just a workfile that has the cross-sections, no dates), then copy it from the cross-section page to the panel page. EViews will then do the repeating for you.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

tmr81

Postby tmr81 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:36 am

Thanks Gareth,

Just for clarification: I use the value for, say, Angola GDP_1960 and place it into my excel file for all values of Angola from 1985 to 2005? Always the same value?

Appreciate an answer.

Best regards, Torben

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:10 pm

Yep, if you have a variable that will have the same value for all years or cross-sections, then, yes, you need to repeat it.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Data Manipulation”