Import byrow

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

BoxyJr

Import byrow

Postby BoxyJr » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:38 am

Hi all,

I'm wondering if you can help me. I have a data set that's transposed with the variables in rows and the dates in columns. first data point is in cell F7 and the row/variable names start in B7. Is there any way to read in the row name? I've read through several old threads and all I could find was reference to "byrow", and a suggestion to use the drop down menu and capturing the code. In both cases I've been unsuccessful.

Alternatively, if I do read the series in with their preset names "series01", "series02", "series03" and so on, is there an easy way to create a loop that renames all 40 series. I.e. rename "series01" "prime1", rename "series02" "prime2" and so on?

Any help greatly appreciated!

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: Import byrow

Postby EViews Steve » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:34 pm

Our import wizard has a "Read series by row" transpose option. This option appears on different pages, depending on the file type you're trying to import. For an Excel file, it appears on the first page. For a text file, it appears on the third.

2023-01-09_13h27_31.gif
2023-01-09_13h27_31.gif (2.42 MiB) Viewed 2707 times

Here's a static picture of the checkbox I'm talking about:
readbyrow.png
readbyrow.png (9.68 KiB) Viewed 2707 times

You should be able to select the column that has all of your variable names, but here's how you would rename "series01", "series02", etc. to "prime01", "prime02":

Code: Select all

rename series* prime*

Steve

Return to “Data Manipulation”