About series updating and the database fuction

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

Alfred123

About series updating and the database fuction

Postby Alfred123 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 am

Hi all,

I am a faithful user of the EViews. I hope it will get better and better in the future. This is the first time that I post here, hope I will be an activator in the future in this forum.

Here are my questions:

(1) Except linking the series with external sources, such as Excel, is there any more efficiency way that updating series ?

Once upon a time, I think the "database" could do that for me. But after I read the user's guide, I don't think it will help me to update series. Especially, I cannot update the series by database if it was construted by myself.

(2) Then, why we need the database ? I've read the user's guide carefully, but I still confused by its function. Why we use it ?

If somebody says, the most important reason that we use database is that we can access the data, for example from FRED or IMF website, then

(3) I suggest the IHS considers to cooperate with the "WIND" database in the future. It's the most popular economic and finance database in China today. If we can get the data in the WIND through EViews, it will be awesome !

Thanks for guys who reply me seriously.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: About series updating and the database fuction

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:29 am

1) I don't really understand this question - there are multiple ways to "update" your data in EViews. The efficiency of each depends on the rest of the work-flow.

2) Databases have many useful features, but the two main reasons for storing data in an EViews database rather than a workfile are a) the database can hold more data than a workfile, and b) the database allows multiple people to access the data.

3) It appears the WIND database is a proprietary format without an open API. WIND would have to be the ones building a connection to EViews, but we'd be open to helping them do so.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Alfred123

Postby Alfred123 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:11 am

EViews Gareth wrote:1) I don't really understand this question - there are multiple ways to "update" your data in EViews. The efficiency of each depends on the rest of the work-flow.

2) Databases have many useful features, but the two main reasons for storing data in an EViews database rather than a workfile are a) the database can hold more data than a workfile, and b) the database allows multiple people to access the data.

3) It appears the WIND database is a proprietary format without an open API. WIND would have to be the ones building a connection to EViews, but we'd be open to helping them do so.

Thanks Gareth, I've read many your replies, they are great and very helpful.

The first question's background is that, I construct a forecasting model. When there is a new observation, I should add it to the series and reestimate the model. Suppose I already linked the series to the Excel format data, then I can add the new observation to the Excel first, after that when I open the workfile, the correspondence series will update automatically. Hence, I want to ask, except this way, how can I update the series in a workfile automatically ? Actually, I use WIND database frequently, when I download data from it, I can only save it as the Excel format. So if the EViews cannot access the WIND database directly, I have to link the series with Excel and then update the Excel first. So, under this background, do you think there is any other efficiency method that I can update my series data which I download from the WIND ?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 am

Write an EViews program that opens the Excel file and then does the analysis. Then each time you run the program, it will grab the latest version of the Excel file.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Alfred123

Postby Alfred123 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:24 pm

EViews Gareth wrote:Write an EViews program that opens the Excel file and then does the analysis. Then each time you run the program, it will grab the latest version of the Excel file.

Thank you !

Return to “Data Manipulation”