Import Excel file with multiple observations per day (time series)

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

Conge

Import Excel file with multiple observations per day (time series)

Postby Conge » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:46 am

Hi!

Im new at using eviews 10. I trying to start a time series analysis about self collected data.

Im trying to import an Excel file with multiple datapoints per day about a time series of like 30-60 days. On some days there are 2 observations and on other days there are 6 observations per day on different times.

My first problem is, that eviews 10 doesnt even recognize that there are more than one observation per day. It recognizes every observation as one day. so i have not 30-60 days but 150 days. I used the Format "Data - regular frequency". Does another format fit better?

My second question is:

In the first column "Date" in excel i used the date format MM/DD/YYYY . I didnt notice the time. Do i need to notice the time in this collumn like "MM/DD/YYYY 00:00:00" or something? Or does the date and the observations in correct order reach out to start a correct time series analysis?

kind regards,

conge

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Import Excel file with multiple observations per day (time series)

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:04 am

You have two choices:

• Import the data as undated, and ignore the date/time structure of the data (which may be just fine if you're not doing anything time related - you can still perform time-series analysis on undated data).
  • Structure the data as irregular intraday, using both the date and time series to structure the workfile.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Data Manipulation”