How is/How to generate constant (other than 0's)?

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

pirateRoberts

How is/How to generate constant (other than 0's)?

Postby pirateRoberts » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:24 am

Hi all, I assume it may be a trivial question but nevertheless important for me. I have recently started working with Eviews (as normally I work in excel and stata) and I can see that when I create date series (open Eviews and select monthly intervals adding the dates between 2002M06-2007M07), the constant is being generated as 0's. In the other data set that I have recently received from my colleague, I can see constant having numerical values. His dataset has 77 time-series variables, whereas mine has 2400. How are the values for the constant generated and on what basis in Eviews?

E.g. I would add a number of time-series variables to my work file. Would that change the constant in "c"? I need the constant variable to replicate the result in Stata.

Thanks
Rob

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: How is/How to generate constant (other than 0's)?

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:33 am

The "C" object in the workfile is the coefficient vector. It contains the results of the last estimation performed. In a new workfile, if you haven't run any regressions yet, it will be full of zeroes. As soon as you estimate something, it will become populated.

The values in the "C" vector have nothing to do with the constant you use in an estimation.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Data Manipulation”