Stacked lines in a time series graph with weekly obs

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

jrg

Stacked lines in a time series graph with weekly obs

Postby jrg » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:13 am

Hi,

I have data which is reported weekly, and I want to view it as stacked lines on a single graph. The horizontal axis is week number, the vertical axis is the observation value, and each line represents the time series for an individual year. In other words, its just like a seasonal graph - but weekly.

I've placed the time series data into an undated page within the work file with "week" and "year" as the IDs. What I cannot seem to do, however, is display the data as a collection of lines, or to overlay them on top of each other. Again, just like a seasonal graph - but weekly.

I would really like to avoid creating new variables (eg. unstack variable X into X_2000, X_2001, X_2002, ... , X_2018, and again for Y, Z, etc)

I am at 94% sure that I am asking a tired old question that has been asked before, so I apologise for that -- even just pointing me to the right thread which has discussed this question would be a super big help.

Thanks very much

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Stacked lines in a time series graph with weekly obs

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:55 am

Unfortunately there isn't a built in way to do this (and I guess you'll be surprised to learn that nobody has requested it before!).

I think I would just go with the unstacking idea.

If it wasn't weekly data (i.e. there were an exact number of periods per year) you could do something easily with lags/leads.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Data Manipulation”