EIA database error

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

lgehrig

EIA database error

Postby lgehrig » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:50 pm

Dear experts

I have successfully opened the EIA database (after API registration) on both my EViews 9.5 and 10+(Enterprise Editions). However, once I hit Browse I get the following error:

EdxEia
The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

and then

EdxEia
unable to fetch category information from server

From working with R with the OECD database I know that I might have to allow a specific port for this to run. Does anyone have experience with working with the EIA database from inside a coporate security fortress? I also tried it from a colleague's machine who has an old EViews 8.1 Enterprise (same error).

Thanks for your help!
Lukas

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: EIA database error

Postby EViews Steve » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:05 am

If you go to the EViews File menu/Open/Database, and then select EIA Online Database, you can see in the Server specification field the URL that EViews will try to use to get EIA data. In this case, the URL is: api.eia.gov

I double-checked and the EdxEIA code is using just normal HTTP protocol (e.g. http://api.eia.gov).

Try going to that URL from your internet browser on the same machine that you have EViews installed. Make sure you can see the following error message from EIA saying:

Code: Select all

{"data":{"error":"No api_key. For key registration, documentation, and examples see https:\/\/www.eia.gov\/developer\/"}}

If you don't see this error, talk to your IT department about allowing traffic to reach that destination. If you do see this error, but EViews still can't reach EIA, then talk to your IT department about how to allow EViews to have internet access. EViews supports HTTP proxy servers for internet access but you'll have to provide this information directly within EViews by going to Options/General Options/Network Proxy Server.

Steve

lgehrig

Postby lgehrig » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:08 am

Thanks a lot Steve

It appears we are in the second case, where we see the error message you quoted but cannot reach the EIA servers despite our proxy settings. I'll reach out to the IT department and - should there be any generally useful information - provide it here.

lgehrig

Postby lgehrig » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:39 am

lots of fiddling around with settings led to the solution that works for my company on EViews 9.5 and 10 at least:

1. delete the PAC-file in the general proxy server settings.
2. restart EViews
3. open the EIA database with your API-key

We could have also gone into the depths of the PAC file and try to change some entries, but since its a running system for thousands of ppl, we prefer this "dirty" solution.

Return to “Data Manipulation”