Workfile compatibility between EViews versions

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

nic-and

Workfile compatibility between EViews versions

Postby nic-and » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:01 am

Hello,

Should it be possible for EViews 9.5 to open workfiles created in EViews 5.1? I have tried, but EViews 9.5 stops working every time, so my guess is the answer is "no".

My follow-up question is if there is any way to transfer Workfile contents. I have no problem transferring data, but I haven't been able to figure out how to transfer other objects, not least equations. Is that even possible? I know I can re-estimate them, but if you have lots of saved equations, then that is a less than perfect solution.

Thanks!

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Workfile compatibility between EViews versions

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:38 am

It is possible to open EV5 (or even EV1) files in EViews 9 (or any other), unless the file has become corrupt.

Other than opening in EViews there is no way to open the file.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

nic-and

Postby nic-and » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:57 am

Thank you for the reply. What's strange about my situation is that I have both EViews 5.1 and EViews 9.5 installed on my computer and I can work on the Eviews 5.1 workfile in EViews 5.1, but when I try to open it in EViews 9.5, EViews 9.5 shuts down.

I don't know why I haven't tried it before, but I just attempted to open other EViews 5.1 workfiles, and they all open nicely. It seems the only workfile I cannot open is the one that really matters. This supports that the file may be corrupt. What's strange is that it works fine in EViews 5.1.

Any ideas on wherein the problem may lie? Are there any particular suspects to check when a working workfile is corrupt?

The reason the problem is bugging me is that I am getting a new office computer shortly with Windows 10 and that will be the end of my EViews 5.1 days.

Thanks!

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:05 am

Did you try resaving it in 5?
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

nic-and

Postby nic-and » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:01 am

Yes, a number of times :D. But I finally managed to get it to work. I resaved the workfile again, and EViews 9.5 as usual closed down. Then I started resaving parts of the workfile, first just one series, then one series and one equation, and so on with increasingly more series and equations. EViews 9.5 managed to open these workfiles as long as I didn't add too many series and equations in each step - and eventually, EViews 9.5 decided to manage to open all the workfiles, including the workfile that has been bugging me. Strange. If I didn't know better I would say that I trained EViews 9.5 until it learned to open all workfiles.

Anyway, now it works!!

Return to “Data Manipulation”