Data import via Macrobond database

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

selvi

Data import via Macrobond database

Postby selvi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi,
I am relatively new to eviews. I have eviews 9.5 and am importing data from Macrobond into a database. However, after importing macrobond time-series into the database with the browse-append button, and saving the database with a name, I notice that when I re-open the database, the time-series are lost. Ideally, I would like the macrobond time-series to be updated every time I open the macrobond database with a bespoke name. How can I do that? Thank you

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Data import via Macrobond database

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Put the series into a workfile (as links if you like, so they'll update), not a database.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

selvi

Postby selvi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:02 pm

Thanks Gareth from the quick reply. I do export the time-series to a workfile, but then the workfile needs to refresh from the database, isn't it?

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:04 pm

Yes, that's the idea.

selvi

Postby selvi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:23 pm

I am sorry, perhaps I don't get it. If the workfile has time-series with links to the database, and the database (with an edb extension) gets emptied every time I close it, then how can I automatically update the time-series which I have saved in the workfile, which are linked to the database?

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:32 pm

Link from the macrobond database, not an edb.

selvi

Postby selvi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Thank you Gareth, this is what I did. I have tried fetching, copying & pasting (normal paste and paste special) a trial time-series from the macrobond database into a workfile. The series in the macrobond database are updated as of yesterday. However, none of these methods resulted in updating the time-series in the workfile to yesterday. In the database registry (in the workfile), the macrobond database is registered with an alias name, the workfile is linked to this database. I have also closed and reopened the workfile, and tried to refresh the links. In summary, I think I have tried all methods to link the time-series in the workfile to Macrobond. Only thr refresh option does not seem to be working, as refreshing the links is taking a long time. Any pointers on how to resolve this would be much appreciated.

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:42 am

If you open the series in your workfile, then press the properties button and select the Values tab, is the 'External link' radio button selected?

If it is not, then the series is not linked to the Macrobond database.

If it is, what is the fetch string listed in the Specification for external data box?

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Also, refreshing a series in a workfile does not automatically resize the workfile if the linked series at the source now has more data outside the workfile's current range. Use PAGESTRUCT to resize your workfile and also look at the arguments in the linked import command to see if a sample range has been specified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selvi

Postby selvi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:10 pm

Thank you Jason and Steve for your replies. I managed to refresh everything after inputting pagestruct. Thanks very much again!

Return to “Data Manipulation”