Trying to add metadata into database

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

BigD

Trying to add metadata into database

Postby BigD » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to add some metadata into all the series in a database. I know there is this useful command known as importattr. However, that only works for objects in a workfile.

Therefore my logic is that I fetch the objects from the database and then import the metadata from my excel file (columns are separated into individual alpha series eg units, source...) and while having another alpha series, name, which contains all the names of the objects in the database. After all this, I would use importattr to add the new attributes in.

My problem is, the database objects are all in different frequencies and workfiles (or pages to be specific) needs to have all objects in the same frequency. Is there a way to work around this?
I was thinking along the lines of fetching objects based on their frequencies to different pages with different frequencies but I don't think it's possible.

Thanks!

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Trying to add metadata into database

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:58 pm

Your thoughts are the way to go. Fetch into different pages based upon frequency, importattr, then store
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

BigD

Postby BigD » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:53 am

EViews Gareth wrote:Your thoughts are the way to go. Fetch into different pages based upon frequency, importattr, then store

Thanks for the reassurance. But now I'm wondering how do I fetch from the data base based on frequency? Is there a frequency option/feature in the fetch command? Or do I have to do some preliminary steps before fetching?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 am

Use wquery to query the database, then fetch the results.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

BigD

Postby BigD » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Thanks a lot, Gareth. That worked!

Return to “Data Manipulation”