CEIC database

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

giobbe

CEIC database

Postby giobbe » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:10 am

Hello,
I have access to the CEIC database, specifically the China premium database, both in eviews and via the CEIC data manager.
In Eviews I have successfully used the fetch command with links and the series picker. Works well!

One feature which could be improved is the series label and the series name, once they are imported into eviews.
While the Description field is correctly filled, the series name seems completely unrelated to the series code which one can lookup in the original CEIC windows interface, which has in general more functionality than the one embedded in eviews.
E.g. the series
ceic::sr88152247
in the CEIC interface is identified uniquely with the following code:
366379667 (CKBAYL)

Similarly, but less important, is the import of other metadata in the details for each series, e.g. units and source.
Can this be addressed?
thanks and best regards
gio

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Re: CEIC database

Postby EViews Jason » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:38 am

Unfortunately the series names are returned by the CEIC servers and are out of our control. You will have to ask CEIC as to why the names are different and if there is anyway to go from one naming convention to the other.

In regards to additional metadata, CEIC returns a 'sourceCode' and a 'sourceName'. Which field should EViews use for source? Units is currently being returned.

giobbe

Re: CEIC database

Postby giobbe » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:22 am

Dear Jason,
I contacted the CEIC support regarding the codes, and provided them with your answer. They were not aware of this issue and will probably get back to you.

thanks
Giovanni

Return to “Data Manipulation”