Datastream new web-services compatibility

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

giobbe

Datastream new web-services compatibility

Postby giobbe » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:27 am

Hello,
as you may already know Datastream will soon no longer be available as a standalone product.
Thomson Reuters, will have a new policy in which it will be selling Datastream, as a bundled product with their bulkier software Eikon. Within Eikon users will be able to use excel and the series picker (AFO). Those without Eikon will not be able to pick series from excel, and I am afraid also from Eviews.

My question is: what will Eviews do with regard to accessing datastream data?

I am saying this since Reuters is telling Datastream clients that it will stop using the old (DWE) Web-services client which was residing here http://dataworks.thomson.com/dataworks
and which was also the same url that Eviews used to query the data.
See the list of available databases from the Eviews pull down menu:
databases_eviews.png
This is the list of databases I see from the Eviews menu
databases_eviews.png (17.84 KiB) Viewed 16403 times

Everything will be moved to a new client, DswsClient , with a slightly different interface and more importantly a restricted functionality data navigator, without a handy(and extremly important) series-picker.

How will Eviews proceed?
thanks and best regards

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Re: Datastream new web-services compatibility

Postby EViews Jason » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:14 pm

We are currently working with Thomson in creating a new database format which will support the new Eikon product line.

giobbe

Postby giobbe » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:40 am

Thanks a lot I will be happy to learn about it,
since you are working with the Eikon guys, it would be great to have also access to the Reuters data,
as done for example in Matlab with datafeed71
https://it.mathworks.com/help/datafeed/reuters.html

In the meantime, the old connection will still work with datastream, including the list picker, right?

giobbe

Postby giobbe » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:35 am

Dear Jason,
my company finished it migration of Datastream from the Datastream Advance API interface which used to work with Eviews as well, to the new Thomson Reuters Datastream Eikon product.
Unfortunately there seems to be no longer a compatibility between the Eikon Datastream Navigator (which is launched by the Eviews "Query-select" command") and Eviews (we have Eviews 10 here, and we use the Eviews-32 bit version). The error I get when trying to Query-select is : "Database Error: unable to load Datastream Series Picker library.".
Do you have any suggestion on how to solve this, is it an issue with Thomson Reuters Eikon?
thanks and best regards!
Giovanni

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 am

Hi Giovanni,

If you do not mind please email me at jason@eviews.com, I'd like to know the details on how you were able to migrate over to Eikon.

To address the reported error see http://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10077&p=35243&hilit=dsseriespicker#p35243 for instructions on how to obtain the series picker.

bobh

Postby bobh » Tue May 07, 2019 6:25 am

Are there any updates to this thread? I am using Eikon and download datastream data directly into Eviews using the fetch command. It works with economic data and some equity fundamentals data. I was wondering if other Thomson Reuters data and functions are available such as the screen function?

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Tue May 07, 2019 8:28 am

Thomson (now Refinitiv) has created a new Datastream EDX interface which was released not too long ago.

You will have to contact your Refinitiv rep to obtain the software.

Once installed and registered, you should see a new Datastram entry in the Database types dropdown labeled 'Datastream Online Database'. All previous functionality should be supported with the new interface.

bobh

Postby bobh » Tue May 07, 2019 1:30 pm

I reached out to them and they said to get the update from you.

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Thu May 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Send me an email to jason@eviews.com with your contact information and I will speak to my Refinitiv rep.

bobh

Postby bobh » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:50 am

My datastream EDX is working using the UI but I can't figure out how to get equity fundamental data using command line. If I just use fetch with a ticker, I get stock price but if I try to get sales or EPS, I get an error. Any ideas? I think I need more info in the request, but I don't know the syntax and can't find any documentation.

Fred66

Postby Fred66 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:55 am

bobh wrote:My datastream EDX is working using the UI but I can't figure out how to get equity fundamental data using command line. If I just use fetch with a ticker, I get stock price but if I try to get sales or EPS, I get an error. Any ideas? I think I need more info in the request, but I don't know the syntax and can't find any documentation.

Hello,
do you have any updates about this problem?
Thanks

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:35 pm

I would contact Thomson and ask them for the syntax, but tell them you would like the syntax to fetch the series from their Excel addin.

It is my understanding that the Excel add-in uses the same engine as EViews.

Fred66

Postby Fred66 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi Jason,
When I try the Excel syntax for instance @MSFT(PE), I have an error message stating Date.Start is invalid.
It was also working before the migration to the new API.

Return to “Data Manipulation”