Datastream new web-services compatibility

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Steve, EViews Jason, EViews Moderator, EViews Pamela

giobbe

Datastream new web-services compatibility

Postby giobbe » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:27 am

Hello,
as you may already know Datastream will soon no longer be available as a standalone product.
Thomson Reuters, will have a new policy in which it will be selling Datastream, as a bundled product with their bulkier software Eikon. Within Eikon users will be able to use excel and the series picker (AFO). Those without Eikon will not be able to pick series from excel, and I am afraid also from Eviews.

My question is: what will Eviews do with regard to accessing datastream data?

I am saying this since Reuters is telling Datastream clients that it will stop using the old (DWE) Web-services client which was residing here http://dataworks.thomson.com/dataworks
and which was also the same url that Eviews used to query the data.
See the list of available databases from the Eviews pull down menu:
databases_eviews.png
This is the list of databases I see from the Eviews menu
databases_eviews.png (17.84 KiB) Viewed 939 times

Everything will be moved to a new client, DswsClient , with a slightly different interface and more importantly a restricted functionality data navigator, without a handy(and extremly important) series-picker.

How will Eviews proceed?
thanks and best regards

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Re: Datastream new web-services compatibility

Postby EViews Jason » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:14 pm

We are currently working with Thomson in creating a new database format which will support the new Eikon product line.

giobbe

Postby giobbe » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:40 am

Thanks a lot I will be happy to learn about it,
since you are working with the Eikon guys, it would be great to have also access to the Reuters data,
as done for example in Matlab with datafeed71
https://it.mathworks.com/help/datafeed/reuters.html

In the meantime, the old connection will still work with datastream, including the list picker, right?

giobbe

Postby giobbe » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:35 am

Dear Jason,
my company finished it migration of Datastream from the Datastream Advance API interface which used to work with Eviews as well, to the new Thomson Reuters Datastream Eikon product.
Unfortunately there seems to be no longer a compatibility between the Eikon Datastream Navigator (which is launched by the Eviews "Query-select" command") and Eviews (we have Eviews 10 here, and we use the Eviews-32 bit version). The error I get when trying to Query-select is : "Database Error: unable to load Datastream Series Picker library.".
Do you have any suggestion on how to solve this, is it an issue with Thomson Reuters Eikon?
thanks and best regards!
Giovanni

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 am

Hi Giovanni,

If you do not mind please email me at jason@eviews.com, I'd like to know the details on how you were able to migrate over to Eikon.

To address the reported error see http://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10077&p=35243&hilit=dsseriespicker#p35243 for instructions on how to obtain the series picker.

Return to “Data Manipulation”