Reshape data in Excel for importing

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

Emily91

Reshape data in Excel for importing

Postby Emily91 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:50 am

Hi everyone

I would like to ask you for your help. For my thesis, i’m struggling with something that seems easy, but yet i don’t know how to deal with it.

I have data for more than thousand companies, that is organised as followed:
But I want to reshape it, so it looks like this (for importing it into Eviews):
I tried using a pivot table but I didn’t end up with the result I wanted. And transposing every balanssheet item for more than thousand companies doesn’t seem the right way as it is too time-consuming.

If anyone could help me with this, i would be so grateful as my deadline is getting closer and closer.
Thank you in advance :-)

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Reshape data in Excel for importing

Postby EViews Gareth » Sun May 15, 2016 12:09 pm

Don't know about Excel, but in EViews...

Code: Select all

wfopen c:\temp\assets.xlsx byrow
alpha variable = @makevalidname(@trim(@left(companies, @length(companies)-4)))
series year = @val(@right(companies, 4))
pageunstack variable year @ *
d companies*
pagestack ?fixed_assets @ ?* *
rename var01 company
pagestruct @date(year) company
pagedelete untitled
Attachments
assets.xlsx
(8.17 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Emily91

Postby Emily91 » Sun May 15, 2016 1:11 pm

Thank you for your reply :-)

I’m sorry but this is the first time I’m working with Eviews and I don’t quite understand your reply and what steps I should take. Correct me if I’m wrong; so it is possible to just import the data without reshaping it in Excel?

Thank you in advance!

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Sun May 15, 2016 1:56 pm

It is, just run those lines of code, either as a program or from the command window.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Emily91

Postby Emily91 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:07 am

Thank you for your reply. I tried to run the different commands for my data but i’m facing some problems. The first 2 commands seem to work for the data. But as soon as I want to run the 3rd command, the one with ‘pagestack ?fixed_assets @ ?* *’ I get an error message saying ‘ID series do not uniquely identify workfile observations’ Do you know maybe what the cause of this might be?

Another question; if the different companies in my dataset have a name and are not named ‘company A B or C’ what should i replace the word ‘company’ with in the command?

Thank you!

Emily91

Postby Emily91 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:49 am

Emily91 wrote:Thank you for your reply. I tried to run the different commands for my data but i’m facing some problems. The first 2 commands seem to work for the data. But as soon as I want to run the 3rd command, the one with ‘pagestack ?fixed_assets @ ?* *’ I get an error message saying ‘ID series do not uniquely identify workfile observations’ Do you know maybe what the cause of this might be?

Another question; if the different companies in my dataset have a name and are not named ‘company A B or C’ what should i replace the word ‘company’ with in the command?

Thank you!

Anyone?

Return to “Data Manipulation”