Problem: EViews becoming the default viewer of xlsx files

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

mingnesota

Problem: EViews becoming the default viewer of xlsx files

Postby mingnesota » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:29 pm

Hello all.

I am new to the forum. I am familiar with EViews 7. I now have EViews 9 (Student version) on Window 10.

Here is the issue. After I imported an Excel file to EViews once, EViews becomes the default viewer of my Excel files. This causes a lot of inconvenience. I have to go to System-Setting-Default Apps to reset. I prefer Excel to be the default viewer of Excel files.

How can I stop EViews becoming the default viewer of my xlsx files?

Thank you,
Ming

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Problem: EViews becoming the default viewer of xlsx file

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:38 pm

Sounds like an issue with your Excel install or Windows. EViews will only become the default viewer for .xslx files if, at the time EViews is installed, Excel is not installed on the computer. Once EViews is installed it will not take ownership of .xlsx files by itself.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

mingnesota

Postby mingnesota » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi Gareth, my Excel had been installed before EViews was installed. EViews does not become the default viewer of xlsx files automatically. It becomes the default viewer after I import data from Excel to EViews ONCE, and then whenever I open an Excel file it is opened by EViews. I need to go to the system setting and reset it. It's quite inconvenient.

This issue maybe caused by Window 10. I have some other non-EViews issues with Window 10.

I don't know how unique my situation is, but if there is a solution without reinstalling the programs, that would be great. If not, hope you guys can look into it in the future, if it is a common issue especially with Window 10.

Thank you for your prompt reply nevertheless.

Ming

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:06 pm

How are you importing the Excel file into EViews?

mingnesota

Postby mingnesota » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:45 pm

File--Import from File

Then, as usual, choose whatever options, and then click Finish.

I have been an EViews user since 3.1. I have been using this approach for more than 10 years. The last version I used was 8, but not with Window 10.

The "Link imported series and alpha object(s) to external source?" is new to me, but it does not matter whether I click Yes or No. EViews takes control of my Excel files and I need to reset it at System/Setting.

So this discovery is very new to me.

mingnesota

Postby mingnesota » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:53 pm

Some Updates.

The problem has ceased. I have no idea what I did differently. Could be something I did, or could be due to Window 10. It has certain erratic behavior in a non-EViews issue earlier.

Thanks for the conversation, Gareth. I will update this thread further if the issue reappears. I am going to teach the software tonight so I can see if the issue happens to my students.

Cheers.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:06 pm

Glad we could fix it :D

tadejus

Re: Problem: EViews becoming the default viewer of xlsx files

Postby tadejus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:49 am

Hi,

I have the same problem..
Eviews was definitely not installed before excel (who would do that anyway)..
I had the same problem with the old company, both using Windows 10 and Eviews 10.
What are you people doing?

tadejus

Postby tadejus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:53 am

I solved the problem this time around by right clicking one of the excel files, going to properties, advanced options and selecting excel as a type of file (although it was already checked)..
that solved it.. not sure the problem wan't reappear next time I import data form an excel file..
but it has to be something eviews does and you shouldn't be doing it..

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:59 am

EViews associates itself as a "secondary" handler for Excel files. This means when you right-click an Excel file, EViews shows up under the "Open With" dialog as an available handler. Also, if you click on "Choose another app", EViews will appear under "Other options".

file_associate.png
file_associate.png (17.77 KiB) Viewed 12291 times

We never register ourselves as a primary handler for Excel files.

My guess is that something is happening to your primary Excel association and then Windows is defaulting to one of the secondary handlers as a backup of which EViews is one.

If you run the REASSOCIATE command from within EViews, that will re-do all the EViews file associations (including secondary handler entries for Excel files). This should not change your primary Excel file handler. I just did this on my machine and the Excel file handler was not altered. Let me know if it is altered on your machine.

Steve

Return to “Data Manipulation”