Fama-MacBeth regression

For questions about EViews Add-ins available from the EViews Add-ins webpage. Note each add-in available on our webpage will have its own individual thread.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator, EViews Esther

EViews Rebecca
EViews Developer

Re: Fama-MacBeth regression

Postby EViews Rebecca » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:41 am

This is a frequency conversion/interpolation problem. EViews has several procedures for doing this: see here and here.

amin3kk

Postby amin3kk » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:24 pm

you mean in every research we have this problem? because in all researches in this area, balance sheet data are annual but return data are monthly.

EViews Rebecca
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Rebecca » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:55 pm

The question you asked is about frequency conversion/interpolation, not Fama-MacBeth.

DamianE

Postby DamianE » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:20 am

Hi,

why exactly do you provide the second regression, where you average the return over time and then doing one single regression?
What's "interesting"?
Can you avoid the assumption of no serial correlation, which you have in the first regression due to the assumption that the standard error of beta and pricing error estimates are treated as independent drawings of a common distribution in the second step?

Would be nice if you can provide me with some insight here.

EViews Rebecca
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Rebecca » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:58 pm

Study some of the writing on Fama-MacBeth, e.g. the papers here.

DamianE

Postby DamianE » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:46 am

Hi,

I would like to know how I can attribute the saved bhat values to the original depended variables.

The add in saves bhat values for each independent variable c under r1, r2, ... ri instead of using the original name. I guess it uses the variables in the alphabetical order, which eviews also uses to display them in the workfile. Am I right?

To give an example: I use 25 portfolios and each portfolio has a certain number of returns over time. The Fama MacBeth add in makes a time series regression for each portfolio in the first step and saves the coefficients as bhat. There it lists the coefficients c1-ci for each portfolio, but the portfolios are not named similar to their original name, but as r1-r25. I need exactly to know, which r1-r25 I can attribute to which portfolio.

Kinds

saraali

Postby saraali » Thu May 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi there,

I want to use Fama-MacBeth regression add-ins in Eviews and need some help on using the Fama-MacBeth add-in. I tried to search it in User Guide I and II but I am not getting any help related to this.

Please advise.

Thanks,Sara

diana_1998

Postby diana_1998 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:19 am

Hi guys!

I'm trying to run the Fama-MacBeth regressions for my thesis but I'm getting a mistake I cannot understand.
I have to run the regression where the dependent variable is "return" and the independent ones "varadv" "size" "bm". However, when I try to run it, I get an error I will attach.
I also noticed my gamas are all 0, and I don't know why.
I'll attach how I put the data in the add-in, the error I get, and the eviews file with the outputs I get.

Can someone help me to understand why this is happening and how should I fix it?

Thank you, so much!
Attachments
Error_FamaMacBeth.PNG
Error_FamaMacBeth.PNG (8.15 KiB) Viewed 9909 times
Eviews_Results.WF1
(372.03 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
variables_introduction.PNG
variables_introduction.PNG (7.64 KiB) Viewed 9909 times

Return to “Add-in Support”