Roll Add-in Suggestion

For questions about EViews Add-ins available from the EViews Add-ins webpage. Note each add-in available on our webpage will have its own individual thread.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator, EViews Esther

ykkoca

Roll Add-in Suggestion

Postby ykkoca » Tue May 03, 2016 4:19 am

Hello,

Recently I have been using roll add-in which proves itself very useful. But one thing this add-in is lacking might have cost me some time, that is, when want to store coefficients, it saves coefficients in the format

Code: Select all

rollcoefs_"Name of the Coefficient"
Hence as you see, this procedure throws away 10 characters, and if the name of the coefficient in the equation is more than 14 characters long, then eviews will return an error and say that it was not able to find "rollcoefs_"Name of the Coefficient""in which to write the rolling coefficients, because such a series cannot be created.

To overcome this problem, I prefer the UI of roll and advroll to let the user select for the prefix instead of forced "rollcoefs_" prefix, and warn the user about the consequences that if the name of the series is more than 14 characters long, the run will be failed. If the user is not good with debugging or programming in the first place, then this add-in will cause many of these problems in use, because I experienced this problem a lot and did not know what was the actual problem, until I modified the add-in by changing the hard-coded prefix.

Thanks.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Roll Add-in Suggestion

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue May 03, 2016 7:47 am

Not a bad suggestion. Of course it is more than just rollcoefs, you'd have to do all the other stored variables too.

I'm not sure we'll have time to do it any time soon, but I'll add it to a list. In the mean time, if anyone makes the change to the source code, you can send it to support@Eviews.com and we'll make the adjustment to the official add-in.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Add-in Support”