eviews7 & ipv6

For questions regarding EViews License Manager.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

from

eviews7 & ipv6

Postby from » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:46 am

Hi, I'm the network administrator in the company and I was kindly asked to help user with the problem opening Eviews7
the client reports while starting: unable to obtain license from server "server name": network address was invalid

when the user is in a corpnet, everything works fine, but when user is away (on wifi, at home, etc.) laptops are connected to corpnet by means of Microsoft DirectAccess.
DirectAccess is ipv6 based technology and license server is ipv6 address enabled.
Initially I thought it is a simple firewall issue, so I checked for blocked packets first, and only then decided to look at the problem closely, because I was unable to see any requests to the license server from the client while on DirectAccess.

Then I got the meaning of the error message: it is not like license server is not accessible, but it's address is invalid.
So I think current version of the Eviews7 software( at least the version installed on the user laptop0 does not understand ipv6 (technology which is more than 10 years old )
As a result I have two questions:
1. I have seen you have Eviews8 but was unable to find a list of planned features. Is ipv6 support there?
2. Is there any workaround for the current version - Eviews7?

Kind regards,
Roman

EViews Chris
EViews Developer

Re: eviews7 & ipv6

Postby EViews Chris » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:52 pm

The EViews license server doesn't currently support ipv6, but I'm not sure that that is what is causing the problems you are seeing.

The error message you are seeing is indeed generated when the dns lookup of the license server name by the EViews application (running on the client) fails.

I might have thought that something like DirectAccess would do some sort of translation into ipv4 for software that doesn't natively support ipv6 - particularly because this isn't something we've had reported before.

The other thing I'd wonder about is whether the dns lookup needs more domain info in the license server name when it is used from off site. Can you ping the license server name from the client using exactly the same specification that has been entered into EViews and have it successfully map to an ip address?

If you can't get things resolved please email support@eviews.com and we can have someone work with you to figure out exactly what is going on.

Thanks,

Chris

Return to “License Manager”