Unable to obtain license from server

For questions regarding EViews License Manager.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

jkh

Unable to obtain license from server

Postby jkh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:07 pm

Normally, our EViews7 license manager works fine. However, when we are connected using VPN, we receive a message that says "Unable to obtain license from server 'XXXXXX': unable to connect to server". I went into License Manager on the server and added the correct IP address, but that had no effect.

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Re: Unable to obtain license from server

Postby EViews Jason » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:21 pm

Try telnet-ing to the license server from the client machine. So from a DOS prompt type

telnet myserver myport

unless you have specified a different port during installation of the license manager, the default is 25750.

If the telnet does nothing and appears to hang, everything appears in order and you should contact support@eviews.com. You will otherwise receive an error indicating why the client is unable to connect to the license server.

You could also try pinging your server from the client for additional information. From a DOS prompt

ping myserver

Note 'myserver' can be a DNS name but if all of the above fail, try using the IP address of the server instead.

jkh

Postby jkh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:41 pm

I just tried doing the telnet command, and it said "Connecting to xxxxxxx...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25750: Connect failed"

I also triedd pinging the server, and the results returned looked normal.

I have already tried emailing support@eviews.com (sent an email on Thursday 2/3), but have not heard back, which is why I thought I would try this forum.

Thanks

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:05 pm

Assuming you are using EViews 7, start the EViews license management console on the server hosting the license manager. Press the right mouse while over the 'Local Server' icon and select properties. In the displayed dialog the server port will be listed. If it is 25750, the error message indicates it is a networking issue, most likely due to a firewall.

jkh

Postby jkh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Yes, it does say that the server port is 25750. I will contact the firewall team here. Thank you so much for your help.

Return to “License Manager”