DCOM on a server

For questions regarding EViews License Manager.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

amrsherif

DCOM on a server

Postby amrsherif » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:54 am

Hi,

I’d like to better understand how eviews licenses work on servers especially with regards to COM.

We ceated an application that produces charts within eviews (using COM) and displays the chart in the application.

I tested the app on everybody’s machine and it works as expected. However, when i tested this on a server, it worked for the first user and gave an error when i tried it on the second user’s machine. The error says that our license allows one DCOM client at a time.

We have a concurrent license that allows us to run 7 instances of eviews at a time. From reading Steve’s previous comments on this topic, i believe that I should not be getting this error. I’m specifically referring this thread: viewtopic.php?t=3142

As of now, we only have 3 users using eviews on the server. We alos have a few unused single eviews licenses that we can potentially switch over to the server.

I’m a newbie to eviews licensing and would appreciate any help on how to get around this issue. Thank you!

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: DCOM on a server

Postby EViews Steve » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:02 am

Our standard licensing agreement does not allow you to run EViews as a server/service, even if you are using a concurrent license.

For example, we would not allow a customer who owned a 100 concurrent license to publish a web page (or web service) to provide near full EViews functionality to the first 100 anonymous users on the internet.

Because of this, these are the restrictions we currently have in place:
1. All access to EViews COM from a web server process is not allowed.
2. Only a single instance is allowed when accessing EViews COM from a Windows service.
3. Only a single instance is allowed when accessing EViews DCOM from anywhere.

We do allow exceptions to these rules on a case-by-case basis. Please contact support@eviews.com with your current EViews serial and a description of your application and your users. We may ask for additional licensing fees to allow this type of use.

As you've already discovered, having your application access EViews locally on each user's machine should work just fine.

By the way, the reason we allow a single instance of DCOM to work is because when a 32-bit client (such as Office) is asking for EViews COM and the only one installed happens to be EViews 64-bit, then Windows automatically uses DCOM to make this cross-bit connection, even if both programs are running on the same machine. We decided it was worth allowing DCOM to work in this scenario for the convenience of our users.

Steve

amrsherif

Re: DCOM on a server

Postby amrsherif » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks for your help. I’ll provide an update in case anybody else is going through a similar issue. Steve suggested that i install the application on the terminal server machine that users are remote accessing, rather than have it saved on a shared drive. This way it runs as COM rather than DCOM (the latter runs into license restrictions).

Another thing to keep in mind, as he mentioned above, is that if you are running the 64 bit version of eviews, make sure your application is also 64 (or 32 and 32). Otherwise it runs as DCOM.

Return to “License Manager”