How to change the license server for Excel Add-in

For questions regarding EViews License Manager.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

svilen

How to change the license server for Excel Add-in

Postby svilen » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:01 am

Recently we have changed the ip of our license server. I’ve changed the ip for my desktop Eviews and it works, but my Excel add-in still refers to our old server. How could I change that?

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: How to change the license server for Excel Add-in

Postby EViews Steve » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:27 am

You can actually see the location of where each of your Excel add-ins are running from by going to the Excel File menu/Options/Add-Ins, then looking at the Location column (or label below):

excel_addin_dialog.png
excel_addin_dialog.png (74.41 KiB) Viewed 22560 times

But this error usually happens if you previously had 32-bit EViews installed on the same machine, but then moved onto 64-bit EViews with different licensing. Because most people's Office installations are 32-bit, when our Excel add-in asks for the EViews OLEDB driver (in order to read EViews data from a workfile), Windows usually tries to look for a 32-bit version first, and an old 32-bit installation may confuse Windows as to where to look for the proper DLL.

So the quick solution would be to re-install 32-bit EViews onto your system, and to make sure this version can run with your license server. You can have both 32-bit and 64-bit EViews installed on the same system and both will use the same license.

Another solution is to do the following. Note: you must have local admin privileges to do these steps successfully:

1. First, quit Excel and EViews if they are running.

2. Download this zip file, unzip it, then run the REG file on your system. This will clean/remove all EViews related registry entries related to COM.

3. Re-run EViews and run the command: REGCOMPONENTS. In the Register Components dialog, click the "Yes(All)" button to re-register everything. Wait for the success message.

4. Re-run REGCOMPONENTS and make sure both "OLEDB Provider" entries say "Registered". Also make sure the Excel 2007 (or 2010 if you're using EViews 10) Add-In entry says "Installed". If it says "Unavailable", you may need to re-install EViews.

5. Now run Excel. Go to File/Options/Add-Ins, then select "COM Add-ins" in the Manage dropdown, then click Go.

6. If you see multiple versions of the EViews Add-In for Excel, make sure only the one that came from the version of EViews you just ran REGCOMPONENTS on is checked. You can see the file path for each add-in by highlighting the row and looking at the "Location:" label below. Click OK to save the changes, if any.

7. Finally, you should now see the latest EViews Add-In in the Data ribbon/tab. Try "Get Data" to see if it now works.

Steve

svilen

Re: How to change the license server for Excel Add-in

Postby svilen » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:49 am

Thanks Steve, I used the second solution and it worked for me.

Return to “License Manager”