Auto regressive distributed lagged models.

For econometric discussions not necessarily related to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

nattieboat

Auto regressive distributed lagged models.

Postby nattieboat » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:21 pm

how do I estimate auto regressive distributed lagged models in eviews. I'm applying the ARDL approach to cointegration but facing some basic difficulties. Can someone please teach me how to estimate using the accurate maximum number of lags and how the intepretation would look like. I'm using eviews 5.1.
Attachments
equations.doc
these are the equations i want to estimate for more clarity on what i wan to do.
(142.5 KiB) Downloaded 704 times

nattieboat

Re: Auto regressive distributed lagged models.

Postby nattieboat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:21 pm

ISN'T THERE ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME?

donihue

Re: Auto regressive distributed lagged models.

Postby donihue » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:38 am

For equation 1, it is really very easy to estimate the equations by introducing the various lagged variables. The hard part is in determining the number of lags. There is no "formulaic" answer to that. The "general to specific" approach of the LSE school suggests starting with a maximal number of lags for each variable and then testing down by eliminating insignificant lags (you can do this easily with EViews "redundant variables" test). If you have quarterly data, typically you would start with 4 lags per variable (assuming you have enough data to avoid degrees of freedom problems)

Equation 2 is then a repeat of the work for equation 1, using differenced variables and adding in your "ecm" term.

Regards
Donihue

Return to “Econometric Discussions”