ADF automatic lag selection.

For econometric discussions not necessarily related to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

neto333

ADF automatic lag selection.

Postby neto333 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi, can someone tell me how does eviews calculate this optimal lag for example with Schwarz criterion. Im asking this because when i do the VAR Lag Order Selection Criterio it gives me a different number of lags. For example with the automatic lag selection SC it gives me 1 lags but with VAR Lag Order Selection Criteria SC it gives me 2 lags.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: ADF automatic lag selection.

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Its not clear what you're asking here.

Are you asking why a VAR's automatic lag selection is different from a single series' unit root test's automatic lag selection? If so, they're not comparable. The VAR has multiple series, the unit root only has one. The ADF test includes differences of the variable, the VAR does not. Etc...
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

neto333

Re: ADF automatic lag selection.

Postby neto333 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:30 pm

EViews Gareth wrote:Its not clear what you're asking here.

Are you asking why a VAR's automatic lag selection is different from a single series' unit root test's automatic lag selection? If so, they're not comparable. The VAR has multiple series, the unit root only has one. The ADF test includes differences of the variable, the VAR does not. Etc...

I see thank you. Also do you guys use automatic lag selection or do you use a different technique to select the optimal lag?

Return to “Econometric Discussions”