Unit Root Tests with structural breaks

For econometric discussions not necessarily related to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

AfonsoRod

Unit Root Tests with structural breaks

Postby AfonsoRod » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:52 am

Dear all

I have learned that due to the characteristics of some variables and the frequency of some data (for example, monthly) the system is subject to shocks. Thus, the traditional unit root tests (ADF, PP and KPSS) may show inappropriate results, due to the existence of structural breaks in the time series.

The data I am working on has a hourly frequency for the time period of 01/01/2009 to 31/12/2018.

I have also learned that the unit root test with structural break Zivot and Andrews (1992) and Perron (1989) are good examples to conduct when in presence of structural breaks in a monthly frequency data, but they are not adequate when in presence of hourly data.

Thus, my question is if there are any unit root tests with structural breaks I should perform, or if I should only perform the traditional ones.
Also, I was also told that the KPSS is also not adequate when in presence of hourly data. In fact, the results I've obtained with this test were very different from the ones i've obtained when performing the ADF and the PP tests.

I appreciate all the help in advance.

dakila

Re: Unit Root Tests with structural breaks

Postby dakila » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:57 pm

Try LSunit add-in.

gabrieltem

Re: Unit Root Tests with structural breaks

Postby gabrieltem » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:46 am

Hello,
I want to apply structural breaks developed by P. K. Narayan and S. Popp unit root test.
How can I run the model? is there any addin you tell me?

Narayan, P.K. and Popp, S. (2010), “A new unit root test with two structural breaks in level and slope at
unknown time”, Journal of Applied Statistics, Vol. 37 No. 9, pp. 1425-1438.

Return to “Econometric Discussions”