Trend-stationarity and cointegration

For econometric discussions not necessarily related to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

hugo_eviews

Trend-stationarity and cointegration

Postby hugo_eviews » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to build a model using 2 trend-stationary variables (my question is also valid for 1 trend-stationary and 1 unit root variables) and was wondering if the regular cointegration methods can be applied to this type of process? From what I understand, two variables are cointegrated if they share a common stochastic trend, however, could this also apply to variables that shares a deterministic trend? Moreover, does including a Trend in the cointegration equation (test) solves my problem?

Thanks.

EViews Mirza

Re: Trend-stationarity and cointegration

Postby EViews Mirza » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:42 pm

Have a look at this document to help you out. Indeed, two trend stationary variables can be co-integrated. What happens, however, is that the cointegrating relationship purges the effect of the deterministic trend. If this was not the case, it would imply the presence of a trend in the cointegrating equation, making the latter I(1) rather than I(0).

https://www.fmf.uni-lj.si/finmath09/Cointegration.pdf

hugo_eviews

Postby hugo_eviews » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:02 am

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing this document!

hugo_eviews

Postby hugo_eviews » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:39 am

Follow up question.

Can anyone help me with the intuition of the different option provided for the different cointegration test (i.e. trend, no trend, constant...)

Is it better to test for cointegration using a trend in the equation when dealing with trend-stationary data. What factors would push me to use the trend instead of no trend in the cointegrating equation?

Thanks

Return to “Econometric Discussions”