Help needed with panel data estimation

For econometric discussions not necessarily related to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

econstudent16

Help needed with panel data estimation

Postby econstudent16 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:02 am

Hi!

I am examing the effect of the demographic transition in emerging Asia on my dependent varibale, the stock of FDI. According to the literature I used several control variables (GDP growth, trade openess, institutional quality, education level, real effective exchange rate (lag), total GDP and I am thinking about adding the lag of the FDI stock in to the independent variables as well.

So I am working with balanced panel data and if I understand correctly the Hausman test tells me to use fixed effects. Somewhere on the internet I found that I need to use cross section weights with the diagonal coëfficiënt covariance method since my t (=18 years) is larger than my N (12 countries). However, I have no idea if this is correct. Furthermore I expect my independent variables to be correlated. How should I deal with this? And with time series data I am used to performing tests for autocorrelation and heteroskedasticity, but how does this work for panel data?

So to sum my question: Am I using the right method of estimation (if not, which should I use and why). And which tests should I perform and how can I perform these tests in eviews 8 (I am thinking about test for autocorrelation, hetereoskedasticity, endogeneity etc.)

Thank you very much!!
PS: for convenience I uploaded the excel file with the data and the eviews file that I am working in. In this eviews file I am experimenting with different methods and different estimations (2 stage least square, EGLS, period fixed etc.)
Attachments
Data including 2x educaiton and fdi stock.xlsx
(45.52 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
Output 0302 fdi stock.WF1
(114.93 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

Return to “Econometric Discussions”