Help with ANCOVA

For econometric discussions not necessarily related to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

cbrisb

Help with ANCOVA

Postby cbrisb » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:00 am

I recently started using Eviews 8 to analyse time-series data, so I highly appreciate some help with data analysis. I am not an advanced statistician so apologies if I have it totally wrong. My dependent variable is the activity level (ranging from 0 = no activity to 1 = full activity) of a prey organism recorded for a whole year (365 days). The independent variables are weather variables (here represented by principal component (PC) scores) as well as the presence (1) and absence (0) of two types of predators.

An example of the data set:

Date Activity PC1 PC2 Predator1 Predator2
01/04/2013 0.89 -0.41 0.47 1 0
02/04/2013 0.72 -0.62 0.15 0 0
... ... ... ... ... ...

The questions I would like to answer are:

1) Is there an effect of weather conditions (PC1 and PC2) on prey activity?
2) Is there an effect of predator activity on prey activity?
3) Are the effects of weather conditions on prey activity different between days during which predator 1 or 2 is present or absent

From what I read recently, the first two questions can be relatively easily answered with a least squares analysis in Eviews. I am not so sure about the third one. I was thinking of an ANCOVA with predator1 or 2 as fixed factor and the PC scores as co-variables (and to test for the interaction predator * pc-scores). I was wondering if this is possible with Eviews or if there are any alternative ways to answer the questions.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Return to “Econometric Discussions”