Cross-Sectional data

For econometric discussions not necessarily related to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

Flipster

Cross-Sectional data

Postby Flipster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:07 am

Hello!
I am running a regression for a paper and I am dealing with cross-sectional data. I have one year and am only interested in the changes that year and I am using Eviews 9. My question is if anyone has a list of tests one should run for cross-sectional data, or problems that may arise. I'm asking because I realize that there should not be any issues regarding change over time. I'm very new to Eviews, please be patient with me. Best, Flipster

EViews Mirza

Re: Cross-Sectional data

Postby EViews Mirza » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:47 am

Testing for changes can take on several forms, but the most popular are break-point changes. The simplest among them is the Chow test if you know (suspect) and can specify where in the data the breakpoint happens. Alternatively, the more complicated ones are the Quandt-Andrews test and the Multiple Breakpoint Tests where you don't know the exact location of the start of the instability and the algorithm produces a list of potential breakpoints with an indication of those most likely to have happened.

Either way, you can get to these by estimating your regression, going to View then Stability Diagnostics.

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:54 am

EViews Mirza wrote:Testing for changes can take on several forms, but the most popular are break-point changes. The simplest among them is the Chow test if you know (suspect) and can specify where in the data the breakpoint happens. Alternatively, the more complicated ones are the Quandt-Andrews test and the Multiple Breakpoint Tests where you don't know the exact location of the start of the instability and the algorithm produces a list of potential breakpoints with an indication of those most likely to have happened.

Either way, you can get to these by estimating your regression, going to View then Stability Diagnostics.

These tests are generally only used for time series data, and probably don't apply here.

EViews Mirza

Postby EViews Mirza » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:01 am

startz wrote:These tests are generally only used for time series data, and probably don't apply here.

Not entirely true. Suppose I have cross sectional data with dummies on males and females. A Chow test could be used to test whether a parameter of interest is different between these two groups.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:11 am

In EViews a non-time based Chow test is called a Factor Breakpoint test.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Econometric Discussions”