Referencing Help Files

For posts that don't quite fit into any of the other forums, including posts about these forums themselves.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

sfutch1

Referencing Help Files

Postby sfutch1 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:12 am

Hi,

Eviews 6

I'm preparing a brief primer of sorts for new employees. I want to focus on those things that are most relevant within existing code for the firm and give them a list of Help File pages that focus on these items.

Is there any way to do this? I see that there is some Java script running when a selection is chosen but the website is static as:

C:\Program Files\EViews6\Help Files\wwhelp\wwhimpl\js\html\wwhelp.htm

Ideally I would be able to provide the new employee a list such as:

Working with Groups:
<c:\Program Files.......>
Working with the matrix language:
<c:\Program Files.......>

The idea is to keep them from stubling around in the help files and focus on those things that are most important for us.

Thanks for any guidance.

Steve

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Re: Referencing Help Files

Postby EViews Glenn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:40 am

What you can do is to bypass the Javascript code entirely and work with the raw html files. Navigate to the help directories and search through the html files themselves (there are individual files for topics). Unfortunately, there to my knowledge there does not exist not single file that I can point you to that has index information, so you'll have to search through the all of the files for specific locations. (Part of the problem with the Javascript implementation of help that we used in EViews 6 was that the we found it somewhat inflexible and difficult to support.) EViews 7 has moved to a compiled HTML system that is easier for us to maintain.

An alternative is to provide links to the information in the PDF files. Quite frankly that's probably the easiest way to do it. It's probably pretty easy to put together a document that links to specific places in the PDF files.

sfutch1

Re: Referencing Help Files

Postby sfutch1 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:53 am

Great, we'll try to put something together with this.

thanks for the prompt note.
Steve

Return to “Any Other Business”