Panel Data in Eviews

For posts that don't quite fit into any of the other forums, including posts about these forums themselves.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

nannigia

Panel Data in Eviews

Postby nannigia » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:16 pm

Dear all,

:wink: i recently joined this forum... I have Eviews 5 and i am so comfortable working with Eviews.
However, i am learning panel data now with Eviews. So many of my classmates suggested me to learn panel data with Stata which i am totally blind about it and i really prefer to work with Eviews but they told me Stata is so much compatible and has better option compare to Eviews for Panel data analysis. I wanted to check with some experts in Eviews, is this true? how about Eviews 6?

Please let me know what you think :mrgreen: ,

Regards,

Yeganeh

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Panel Data in Eviews

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:53 pm

Obviously I'm a little biased, but I think I can give you my thoughts....

I would agree with your classmates that Stata has, without doubt, more features for panel data analysis than EViews does. However EViews has a great many panel data features. If EViews does the panel data analysis that you need, and you are comfortable using EViews, then I, personally, would not see the point in switching. I believe that EViews is a more convenient platform to use than Stata in general (although my familiarity with EView is obviously many times greater than my familiarity with Stata), thus the panel data analysis that we do do you may find easier to work with.

I'm not sure I follow their argument on compatibility - EViews, I think, supports more file formats than Stata does.

Of course given that EViews is able to both read and write Stata files, there is nothing to stop you from using EViews for the majority of your work, then if you find there is something that EViews does not do that Stata does, you can always save the file in a Stata format and then try to do it in Stata.

It is probably worth asking your classmates if they have used EViews post-EViews 4. EViews 5 is really the version that introduced Panel Data analysis to EViews (prior to 5 there was only Pool estimation). EViews 5 also made it much easier to get data into and out of EViews (thus making it more compatible). It may be that your classmates comments are based upon EViews 4, in which case they are probably a lot more valid. Perhaps you should suggest to your classmates that they switch to using EViews 5 over Stata! :D
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

nannigia

Postby nannigia » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:09 am

thank you very much for your reply and taking time to explain to me...
I really needed to know is it a point that i have to learn Stata or not, cause i will use Eviews along with my career also.... in future for sure....

that's was great, i got this messege from your comments that you can be sure that normal analysis and studies can be done with Eviews also, this is enough for me to proceed with Eviews.

Manyyyyyyyy thanksssssssss

have a great day!

:mrgreen: :wink: :D

kelaynak

Postby kelaynak » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:22 am

Dear all,

Would you please explain the difference between Eviews 6 and Stata for unbalanced panel data analyis?

As far as I understood from above reply to this message, Eviews is definitely user friendly, easy usage and easy to import data and export data etc. But what about in terms of statistical analysis and test for panel data?
What kind of analysis or tests that I cant do in Eviews,although it is posible in Stata for unbalanced panel with GMM method?

Will there be a new updates for them in Eviews 7? Will we have a Eviews 7 in 2009?

Thanks in advance

Kelaynak

amarakoon.bandara

Postby amarakoon.bandara » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:01 am

Hi

Does anybody know how to use Eviews 7 to estimate Pool Mean Group Estimator (Pesaran, Shin and Smith)?
Thanks
Amare

Return to “Any Other Business”