A SIMPLE METHOD ALLOWING TO SWITCH THE ENDOGENOUS/EXOGENOU

For technical support, tips and tricks, suggestions, or any other information regarding the EViews model object.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

tvonbrasch

A SIMPLE METHOD ALLOWING TO SWITCH THE ENDOGENOUS/EXOGENOU

Postby tvonbrasch » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:20 pm

Looking at the book Structural econometric modelling: Methodology and tools with applications under EViews, by Jean-Louis Brillet, i noticed that he has made a program that allows for switching the endogenous/exogenous status of the variables in a model. This procedure is for example included in Troll. Will you provide a built-in feature that allows the switching of endogenous and exogenous variables in the future?
sincerely
Thomas von Brasch

EViews Chris
EViews Developer

Re: A SIMPLE METHOD ALLOWING TO SWITCH THE ENDOGENOUS/EXOGE

Postby EViews Chris » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:04 pm

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking.

You can turn any endogenous variable in a model into an exogenous variable by 'excluding' it from the model solution. This will remove the variable and its associated equation from the model, making the variable exogenous.

There is a different issue, which is how EViews chooses which variables are the endogenous variables of the model to begin with. It currently does this by using the first variable that appears within each equation, which you can fool by putting in artificial terms at the beginning of the equation. eg if the equation is:

y = 4*x + .2*y

with 'y' as the endogenous variable, you can change it to:

0*x + y = 4*x + .2*y

to make 'x' the endogenous variable.

We've considered changing things to allow a different way of specifying the list of endogenous variables, but the problem we have is that the current EViews interface tightly couples each equation with a particular variable. It would be a fairly significant modification to change this.

Is it this latter issue that you're referring to?

Chris

tvonbrasch

Re: A SIMPLE METHOD ALLOWING TO SWITCH THE ENDOGENOUS/EXOGE

Postby tvonbrasch » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:59 am

Yes, it was the latter issue i was thinking about.

Thanks for your reply.
Thomas

Return to “Models”