Changing endogenous variable without using add factors

For technical support, tips and tricks, suggestions, or any other information regarding the EViews model object.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

Karl1

Changing endogenous variable without using add factors

Postby Karl1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:46 am

I want to set the value of an endogenous variable to a specific value, and making the programme solve this by adjusting the value of an exogenous variable instead of adjusting an add factor. In principle this is the same thing that happens when using add factors, the difference being that it is an exogenous variable and not an add factor that adjusts to make the solution for the endogenous variable equall to the user set predetermined value. I hope someone knows how to do this. It know it is possible with other programs, so I guess it should be possible with Eviews as well.

EViews Chris
EViews Developer

Re: Changing endogenous variable without using add factors

Postby EViews Chris » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Have you tried the model procedure: Proc... Solve Control for Target?

The 'Control Variable' is the exogenous variable you would like to adjust.

The 'Target Variable' is the endogenous variable that you would like to match to some target values.

The 'Trajectory Series' is a series in the workfile containing the target values of the endogenous variable.

Karl1

Postby Karl1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:22 am

The option "Solve Control for Target" is not on my Proc-menu. I have version 8. Do you know what causes this?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:15 am

You probably don't have a model open when clicking on the Proc menu.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Karl1

Postby Karl1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:28 am

You were right. It works now. Thanks!

However, the command does not seem to work in the same way as when using add-factors. The model is not simulated fully when solving for the exogenous variable using the control-command. Non of the endogenous variables,except for the endogenous variable one determines oneself, seem to change when using this command. Does anybody know how to solve this?

Return to “Models”