Change/Re-endogenize a variable in FRBUS

For technical support, tips and tricks, suggestions, or any other information regarding the EViews model object.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

primwallflow

Change/Re-endogenize a variable in FRBUS

Postby primwallflow » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:21 am

I'm running model simulations using the Federal Reserve's public FRBUS model (see here: http://www.federalreserve.gov/econresda ... ackage.htm)

The model includes several variables that estimate pre-set monetary policy rules. The user sets the monetary policy assumption through use of a flag.

What I'd like to do is modify the parameters of an existing rule (if you're familiar with FRBUS, it's the general rule, "rffgen"). What I am trying to do is first unlink the variable I'm trying to modify, then appending the new rule back to the model:

Code: Select all

{%varmod}.unlink rffgen
{%varmod}.append rffgen = rffe(-1) + 0.5*(picxfe(3)-2) - 0.5*(xgap2(3)-xgap2(-1))

However, when FRBUS tries to assign baseline tracking add factors, it reports an error ("The model contains errors and could not be compiled in 'DO_STDVER.ADDASSIGN @ALL"

One alternative would be to manually edit the equation and coefficient text files; however, that's quite clunky. I'd like to be able to dynamically use different rule specifications in different programs without having to go into the saved equations manually.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Change/Re-endogenize a variable in FRBUS

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:03 pm

Without knowing anything about the frbus model, I'd say you want to do

Code: Select all

{%varmod}.drop rffgen
{%varmod}.append rffgen = rffe(-1) + 0.5*(picxfe(3)-2) - 0.5*(xgap2(3)-xgap2(-1))
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

primwallflow

Postby primwallflow » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. Eviews tells me "DROP is not a valid view for STDVER in 'DO_STVER.DROP RFFGEN"

I should mention I'm running Eviews 7.2

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:11 pm

Ah. You can't do what you want in 7.2. You'll have to get 8, or do it the very complicated way you mentioned above.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Models”