EViews 7 in VMware View

For questions regarding installation and registration of EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

jasonrw

EViews 7 in VMware View

Postby jasonrw » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:40 am

Hello,

I have EViews 7 installed in a lab that utilizies VMware Horizon View workstations. Each time I recompose the virtual machines, afterwards, EViews will not run. I get an error stating.

"Unable to obtain license from server "servername": client machine has not been properly prepared for lab licensing."

Our license key is entered properly along with the cloning key. The only current fix for this is to reinstall EViews individually on each of the VM's, which negates the administrative benefit of using View. Is there a way to prep EViews for actual cloning before doing the recompose? I did read through topic

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8420

That situation doesn't seem applicable here.

Thanks in advance

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: EViews 7 in VMware View

Postby EViews Steve » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:05 am

Hi jasonrw:

Sorry for the late response. Somehow this post fell through our cracks...

It seems like you are using a server lab license. These 'Z' licenses allow each client to be "registered" with the license server, but does not require constant contact. When each machine is registered, it get's some licensing info that is tied to the machine it's running on -- so in your case it becomes tied to the VM after the first time EViews is run on it.

I would suggest you make an image of your VM after your install EViews but before your run EViews for the first time on it. This will insure that you can restore your image and leave EViews in this initial state. Obviously the first time EViews runs it will require contact with your license server at least once so it can get the license.

Hope this helps...

Steve

Return to “Installation and Registration”